Saturday, July 27, 2019
11:00 am – 3:00 pm
KIPP DC Douglass Campus
2600 Douglass Road SE
Washington, DC 20020
Community Day is an annual event that provides residents of Washington, D.C. with access to information, goods and services that address a number of socio-economic and health related issues.
Held each summer with a back-to-school focus, Community Day offerings include free school supplies, health/wellness screenings, nutritious foods, physical activity demonstrations, and kid-friendly entertainment.
In 2018, the FCAC distributed 350 backpacks filled with school supplies. Additionally, personal care items such as toiletries, bras, and socks were provided to community members. Community Day attendees enjoyed a picnic-style lunch; received fresh, healthy fruits and vegetables; were entertained by a live DJ; and learned fun line dances.
Community Day is supported by a variety of local organizations that participate as exhibitors and provide information about useful resources and services. This year we are pleased to present Community Day in partnership with KIPP DC.
A few of our previous exhibitors include:
- Connect DC and the Mobile Tech Lab (a DC government agency that works to increase technology access in under-served areas)
SOME Center for Employment Training (job training and services)
- Joyful Markets/Martha’s Table (fresh produce distribution)
- Washington Area Bicyclist Association (safety tips for bicycling in and around the city)
- DC Department of Employment Services (job search assistance)
National Children’s Medical Center (information on asthma and WIC benefits)
Be Polished LLC (a modern “charm” school teaching etiquette)
- DC Fire and EMS (provided hands on CPR instruction)